So I've been going down a bit of a VPN rabbit hole lately (as one does), and I kept landing on the same name: Mullvad. I was well familiar with it during my time in Cyber Threat Intelligence, but I began to wonder, why was it everywhere? During my research, I also learned about an interesting event that took place linked to Mullvad...a raid.
The Raid That Went Nowhere
They wanted computers. Specifically, computers "with customer data."
Fourteen Years and Not a Scratch
The thing that gets me is how Mullvad handled the aftermath. They didn't present us with the usual "we're reviewing our policies" corporate-speak or panic announcement/email. Just a blog post pointing out they'd been running the service for over
14 years, implying: this is how it's always worked, nothing to see
here. Confidence like that is hard to fake.
The Downside of Being This Private
Here's where it gets a bit more complicated though. Being this aggressive about not logging anything means Mullvad genuinely cannot tell who's using their network for what. No visibility means no way to flag bad actors either. This feeds back to the point I made earlier, where I was seeing this VPN service deeply woven into cybercrime toolkits.
Mullvad's own CEO admitted this too. The company became something of a "safe haven for bad stuff" simply as a side effect of doing privacy properly.
IPs got blacklisted, hosting providers pulled out, law enforcement kept knocking. Eventually they killed off port forwarding entirely, specifically because criminals were abusing it and Mullvad had no way to police it without breaking their entire privacy model.
So the same design that makes Mullvad basically bulletproof against government pressure is the exact thing that occasionally makes it attractive to the wrong crowd.
It would appear that privacy is a package deal, you don't get to keep the good parts and filter out the bad ones.
Worth It?
I keep coming back to the same conclusion: a VPN that can't hand over your data because it genuinely doesn't have it is a fundamentally different promise than a VPN that pinky-promises not to look. I am not going to name any because it is likely you already know of several of them.
One is a policy. The other is architecture. Mullvad picked architecture, and a failed police raid is about as strong a proof-of-concept as one will get. How interesting!
mullvad.net